Last Friday I was on my way to Target. I had actually never been to this particular Target before, but I was pretty sure I knew how to get there. Soon the familiar red dot encompassed by the giant red circle came into view. It was a sight almost as recognizable as the Golden Arches. I knew my destination was close by. I saw an entry way and thought about making a quick right turn. Perhaps I going too fast to negotiate the turn, perhaps I was day-dreaming, or perhaps I was just singing along with the song on the radio, but somehow I missed it! I thought to myself, "It's no big deal, I'll just take the next one." That's exactly what I did. I took the next right turn, and I found myself on the entrance to the freeway, going in exactly the wrong direction, with the gigantic red bulls eye in my rear view mirror screaming at me, "You're going the wrong way!"
Sometimes it's easy to miss your "target" and head off in the wrong direction. Often in our relationships, and in marriage, we think we know how to get there, but we end up taking wrong turns. All of a sudden we find ourselves speeding down a path we never intended to take, and the next exit in order to turn around is 20 miles away. How do we end up "going the wrong way" in marriage? Sometimes it's a result of an egregious "wrong-turn", like an affair, or an addiction, but often it's an attitude of "It's not big deal, I'll just take the next one." It is easy to take our beloved for granted, and end up missing the mark of God's best for us in marriage. Either way, here are some examples of simple "wrong turns" to avoid to prevent you from going the "wrong-way" quickly:
1. Name-calling
2. Criticism or sarcasm
3. "White Lies"
4. Gossip or slander
Maybe you and your spouse are just starting out and haven't veered off course, or maybe you have already driven past your "target" in certain areas of your relationship. The most important thing is to hone in on the true target: a marriage relationship aimed at embodying the love and peace of our Lord Jesus Christ.
READ: John 14:5-6 Thomas said to Him, "Lord we do not know where You are going, how do we know the way?" Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me."
QUESTIONS:
1. In what ways are you and your spouse "going the wrong way?" In what ways are you headed in the right direction?
2. When you find yourselves going the wrong way, how can you "turn around?" Name some steps you can take.
3. Does it surprise you that Thomas, one of Jesus' 12 disciples, had to ask Jesus, "How do we know the way?" (was he asking for directions??)
Do you think it was an important question to ask? Why/why not?
4. What does it mean for your marriage that Jesus is the way, and the truth, and the life? Name some practical ways this plays out in your relationship with your spouse, and others in your community.
Monday, May 12, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment